NEXT PACKAGING EVENT: September 22, 2018!! Noon at The Lyceum of Galveston!
(24th Street and Winnie)
Our goal is to package 50,000 servings of food for our neighbors in need! We need your help; come for an hour or two or stay to the very end. If you cannot come at 12:00 Noon, then come at 2:00 pm. We appreciate all help! This is a great opportunity to be of service to your community, meet new people, and have some fun.
If you or your group will be participating, kindly sign up and give us the approximate number of volunteers that we can expect: CLICK TO REGISTER Thank You!
Please join us Memorial Day weekend!
No One Should Go Hungry in Galveston County
You CAN help!
Volunteer or Donate!
$1 = 4 Meals
Keep Up With Our Packaging Events
Join Us on Memorial Day May 26, 2018 at The Lyceum In Galveston!
January 20, 2018 – 50,000 Meals Packaged!
Sept. 11, 2016
Thanks to our volunteers, we packaged 20,800 servings of nutritious food for our food insecure neighbors on the Island and in Galveston County.
Join the Movement!
Food Insecurity and Hunger
- Hunger is the world’s number one health risk. It kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined.
- Approximately 35.5 million Americans are food insecure (Source: Feeding America)
- Texas has 1.3 million food insecure households (more than 3 million people) which is the third highest in the Nation. (Source: United States Department of Agriculture)
- Texas has the seventh-highest rate of hunger at 5.1% of households in the United States.
- 18.1% of people are food insecure. (53,460 individuals)
- 24.9 % of children live in these same homes (18,390 children)
God's Work. Our Hands.
What Can You Do?
Donate – Serve – Receive
25 cents feeds a child, $1 feels a family of 4. Money raised turns into people fed. Donations of all sizes help feed our hungry neighbors!
At an average of 160 meals packaged per hour, we need hands to make this happen!
Once packaged, the meals are given to local food banks serving Galveston County for no charge!
By partnering with End Hunger NE and Outreach, we can provide nutritious meals for those who otherwise will go hungry. And, by partnering with the local food banks we are connected with a systematic process that gets food to those who need it most.
Partnering – we can make a difference!
God’s love in Jesus Christ empowers us to serve God by serving our neighbors. The Feed Galveston ministry is one way we can meaningfully serve our neighbors. It is ‘God’s Work’ through ‘Our Hands.’ And, it is our hope for the hungry to be fed, yet even more we hope to build lasting relationships as we serve our neighbors and walk together sharing the love God has for all.
Rev. Richard Rhoades, First Lutheran Church of Galveston